Below is a collection of web links to various sites which support teacher licensure.
SPS Licensure Info Pamphlet (PDF)
- Informational pamphlet on Licensure
Educator Licensure Application Packet
- Informational booklet with general Q&A on the licensure process
Educators ELAR Account (PDF)
- Instructions on creating and logging onto your ELAR account
How to setup your SPS email account (PDF)
- Instructions on creating your SPS email account
- The Department of Education offers Massachusetts Curriculum Frameworks booklets covering the knowledge required to teach each particular subject/level. To obtain copies of the appropriate framework for your area of teaching.
Preparation Programs Directory
- Listing of all Massachusetts state-approved educational programs.
- Determine your requirements for a particular license
The Educator Licensing and Recruitment (ELAR) System simplifies Massachusetts educator licensing and other inquiry functions by reducing much of the paperwork and time delay that typically holds up licensure.
This system allows prospective Massachusetts educators to apply for licensure or to renew their Professional level license(s), track their licensure progress, view or edit their licensure file, post their resumes, locate job openings, and more via any computer.
To take advantage of ELAR, first register as an ELAR user via the DOE Security Portal. By registering, you are creating a user profile that enables you to perform Massachusetts Educator Licensure functions.
Application by mail
If you prefer, you may request a license application packet by mail:
Office of Educator Licensure
350 Main Street
P.O. Box 9140
Malden, MA 02148
of a Professional License
All professional level licenses have validity cycles of five years from the date the professional level license was issued or its last renewal date. These may be renewed by the successful completion of the appropriate number of professional development points (PDPs)
-Information on Applying for Recertification, New Recertification Regulations, Individual Professional Development Plans, Professional Development options and Professional Development Providers
MTEL Tutorial Sessions
- Information on MTEL tutorial sessions available to SPS teachers, paraprofessionals and zone substitutes
MTEL Tutorial Feedback
What teachers have to say about our MTEL tutorials (PDF)
Wide MTEL Tutorial Sessions
Massachusetts State Wide MTEL Tutorial Sessions
- Information on local MA colleges offering tutorial sessions for a fee
- Information on registering for the Massachusetts Tests for Educator Licensure (MTEL)
Test Information Booklets
- Information booklets regarding the MTEL tests (general and subject-specific information) and sample test questions
- Back to Top -