The Springfield Public Schools works diligently to ensure our teachers are licensed and highly qualified. Therefore, waivers are only considered for critical needs positions and are reviewed on a case by case basis.
A Waiver is a permit to teach. They are granted to individuals teaching in a critical need area, and currently in the process of obtaining a teaching license for the position they are hired to teach. Critical need areas include Math, Science, ESL, and Special Education. Any teacher who has been hired without the necessary requirements to be licensed in Massachusetts will be placed on a Waiver if they meet the general district requirements. The District applies for the waiver to the DESE upon hiring the teacher.
seeking to teach on a waiver must:
- Posses a Bachelor’s Degree
- Provide proof of their application for licensure to the Human Resources Department.
- Obtain their preliminary license within 2 academic years if working towards a Moderate Disabilities License.
- Obtain their preliminary licensure within the first year if working towards licensure in the areas of Math, Science, or ESL.
- Teachers who have not obtained their license in the specified time frame will not be rehired until they have obtained their license.
teacher may remain on a Waiver for one year. A second waiver
may be issued under extreme circumstances such as “critical
areas of need” or as long as “Continuous Progress”
has been made during the school year. The teacher must demonstrate
that they are making continuous progress toward meeting
the requirements for licensure in the field in which they
are employed for an additional waiver to be granted by:
- Completion of required MTEL Exams.
- Appropriate coursework toward their license.
- Any combination of the above to make up the 3 steps.
- Make an appointment with the Coordinator of DESE Licensure in the Human Resource Department to map out an individual plan for making continuous progress.
- Keep a professional portfolio with your licensure information. Send copies of continuous progress documentation to:
Department of Elementary and Secondary Education
Educator Licensure Office
75 Pleasant Street, Malden, MA 02148
Public Schools HR Department
Bonnie Roy, Coordinator of DESE Licensure Compliance
195 State Street, Springfield, MA 01103
- Back to Top -